Sunday, September 19, 2010

Nori Chicken


























Nori Chicken is apparently the same as Mochiko Chicken added a strip of nori (dried seaweed). They added the strip of nori so that it would look like Kakimochi (or Arare, or Rice crackers), like this one. Don't they look alike??


Mochiko Chicken
1 lb chicken, cut up into small bite size pieces
1 tbs mochiko flour
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs cornstarch
1 tsp salt
2 tbs soy sauce
1 egg
2 cloves garlic
green onions, diced (optional)
For nori wrapped chicken: 1 sheet of nori (dried seaweed), cut into strips

1) Combine all ingredients above and marinate chicken for at least 2 hours, over night is best.
2) (for nori wrapped chicken), wrap chicken with a piece of nori.
3) fry until golden brown.


In Hawaii, people like to eat popcorn with kakimochi, I LOVE IT! I was thinking, maybe one day I will do a movie theme bento, except it would be popcorn chicken with nori chicken, hotdog, then maybe some m&ms on the side? Would that be cool?!

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, that looks so good! I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sonona: thanks! and it's pretty simple! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. old skool bento food...mmm...the best i had was made by a family member of the Teshima Restaurant on the big island Hawaii on the Kona Coast made some for a celebration once

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually in the process of making this right now! Except I marinade the chicken in shoyu, cooking mirin and sake. And I just coat the chicken in straight corn starch, then wrap in nori and fry. Sooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had a craving for nori chicken and hope this recipe is good. I from the islands living in Alabama now and was thinking about the Hilo lunch shop, they always had the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilo lunch shop is still Ono delicious 😋

      Delete
  6. Looks good. I like simple dishes with not to many ing.

    ReplyDelete