Friday, September 3, 2010
Grilled Pork and Fried Rice
I finally got a copy of Susan Yuen's 2nd Edition of Hawai'i's Bento Box Cookbook a few weeks ago. Although I'm not doing much bentos anymore, I am a HUGE fan of her recipes. This edition also has alot of delicious recipes, much like her first book. Her garlic sundried tomatoes butter is the bomb! She also has a good recipe of grilled pork! It was good, but it doesn't LOOK half as good as hers in her cookbook. :(
I realized i don't have a recipe for fried rice besides Kim Chee Fried Rice. So I'm going to share my recipe with you here.
1 cup of leftover cooked rice (microwaved warm)
1/4 cup of diced meat** (portuguese sausage, spam, chicken, pork, bacon, duck, etc. any meat from leftovers would work really well also)
1/4 cup frozen veggies (peas, carrots, corn, etc)
1/4 cup diced kamaboko (optional)
1 tbp soy sauce (add more if desire)
2 tsp of sesame oil
dash of black peppers
1) In a large skillet (or wok), pan fry diced meat, push the meat to the side of the skillet. 2) Scramble the egg on the same skillet, try not to touch the meat (it's okay if you do).
3) Add in frozen veggies and toss the meat, egg, and veggies together.
4) Add in cooked rice, and continue to stir fry.
5) Add in soy sauce, and black pepper, continue to stir fry.
6) Drizzle sesame oil, continue to stir (this is where the smell comes in!!)
There are many versions of fried rice. Some people add salt, some people add garlic salt, while others add oyster sauce. Fried rice variations are endless! It is best to put together using leftovers, it's a yummy transformation for leftovers! :)
**leftover beef or steak is probably not a good choice in fried rice...but I've seen it done...