Thursday, September 9, 2010
Crockpot Pull Pork
UPDATE! I just made this again and it is definitely WAY better when the pork is completely defrosted!! Woohoo!!
My husband LOVES the Waikaloa Hilton's Pull Pork. He can't stop raving about it when we went there on our family trip. He also said he'll "love me long time" if i could make it just as good. Yeah right! I decided to give it a try...
5 lb pork butt (aka pork shoulder...I still don't get it)
1 tbs hawaiian salt
3 tbs paprika
1 tbs brown sugar
2.5 tbs mustard (1 tbsp if dry, but i didn't have any)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped finely)
1 can of cola
1 onion (slice)
1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce
1) rub the first 5 ingredients on the pork butt, marinate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
2) place sliced onions on the bottom of the crockpot.
3) place marinated pork butt on top of onion slices.
4) pour in a can of cola.
5) set crockpot on high for 5-6 hours, or until meat can be easily pulled apart by a fork.
6) remove pork and place into a big bowl, shred meat with two forks
7) discard the rest of the things in the crockpot, do a quick wipe and dump the shredded meat back inside, add your favorite bbq sauce, toss, and let it cook for another 30 min to an hour.
I made a few mistakes while I was doing this recipe as I was trying to speed up the prepping 1) I didn't let the pork defrost all the way. 2) I didn't marinate for 5 hours. I really only rubbed the ingredients on and pop it into the crockpot right away *shame on me*. 3) I cooked it for only 4.5 hours. With all those mistakes, the pork ended up not fallen off the bones and I was having a very hard time shredding with my fork. I end up using my fingers to shred them. But still turned out delicious, even though I tried to speed it up. I served it with rice and salad the first night, with some pull pork nachos on the side. I still had alot of leftovers so I made pull pork sliders the next day. I packed them up last night and put them in the freezer. Will be using it to make quesadillas on a rainy day. (aka don't-wanna-cook day)