Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Miso Yaki Onigiri



















I LOVE crunchy rice. My fist time trying it was when I was in HS and my friend's dad made us crunchy rice balls from the bottom of an old rice cooker. He'd put oil, then layered rice, then sprinkle salt. you could even hear it cracking inside the rice cooker. Then he scrapes it up, put it in a ball, wrapped it in foil. It was the yummiest thing since chips!

Since then, whenever I see crunchy rice on the menu (ie: stone pot rice, yaki onigiri), I just need to order it, even if it's $6 per onigiri at a japanese restaurant!

After reading a whole bunch of japanese cookbooks, I realized it isn't every difficult to make this. In fact, i could save myself couple bucks by doing this at home!

Rice
teriyaki sauce
miso sauce
nori strip (optional)

I used leftover rice to make mine, since I made extra couple days ago.

1)microwave rice til hot.
2)place 1/3 cup of rice on a sheet of siran wrap
3)drizzle some teriyaki sauce on top and mix into rice
4)wrap rice with siran wrap into a ball, then shape it into a triangle (you don't need to use siran wrap, it's just easier to manage. you can use a pair of wet hands to shape it into a triangle)
5)unwrap rice then wrap nori on the bottom of the triangle (or however you want to wrap it)
6)place shaped rice on a greased cookie sheet and broil in toaaster oven until the top is slightly crispy
7)turn over and broil the other side
8)take out onigiri then spread miso sauce on top of rice, place it back and broil it until golden brown
9)turn over and do the same with the other side.

Voila! I took a bite and see how it tastes...was soooo good I ate the whole thing in seconds! Note to self: do not make just one onigiri to try. should always make more!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so tasty! And you have learned a valuable lesson: never make just one of something. LOL

    ReplyDelete