Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chicken Katsu Donburi, Katsu Recipe, and Bento

Last night I made Chicken Katsu Donburi for da fam. I have previously posted this recipe before. But yesterday I questioned myself as to why the restaurant ones looks better than what I have, as if they "baked" it. While I was making it last night it finally clicked! Instead of lifting the content and place on top of a bowl of rice, I'm supposed to loosen the content from sticking to the skillet, then FLIP the content from the skillet to the bowl of rice! I have made that change in my recipe here. I am now satisfied with my donburi making. domo! Does this look like restaurant material than my first post's picture? ...i think it's the same. hmmm...
















Today I will be teaching you how to make Chicken or Pork Katsu, requested by my bff.
Boneless Chicken or Boneless Pork (thinly sliced or pound thinly)
Salt
Pepper
Flour
Egg (beaten)
Panko
Oil
1) Salt and pepper chicken or pork.
2) Place flour, egg, and panko in 3 different shallow dishes.
3) Drench meat, one piece at a time, in flour, then dip in beaten egg, then coat with panko.
4) Deep fry meat in oil on medium heat until golden brown and meat is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes each side.
5) Drain katsu with paper towel, place on cutting borad and cut into stripes.
6) Serve this with katsu sauce.

Katus Sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Shoyu
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp worcestershire sauce

1) Place ingredients in a sauce pan and let it heat through.

Donburi tastes so good, no more leftovers for me! So I made another pesto chicken wrap bento for lunch today.
















Top tier contains Pop Chips and Wheat Soda Crackers, bottom tier contains Pesto Turkey Wrap and Apple Slices covered with Li Hing Powder.

Lastly, I would like to talk to you guys about Gen Ji Mai rice. For years I always thought there are two kinds of rice--white or brown, excluding wild rice. In the last few years, everyone's been switching from white to brown becuase brown rice is healthier....but not everyone likes the taste/texture of brown rice. A few years ago, my friend introduced me to Haiga rice, claiming that it's not white rice, it's not brown, but it's in between. I started trying them and believe me, no one knew that they weren't white. Last month, I decided to try Gen Ji Mai as I have been seeing them alot. It's browner than Haiga but I'm surprised how good it tastes! I also learned that if you add a few pinches of hawaiian/sea salt before you cook the rice, they will be more moist. So if you are thinking about replacing your white rice, but dislike brown, Haiga and Gen Ji Mai might be your option. You can see the chart below to see where Gen Ji Mai stand and its nutritional content. It's not bad at all!
Happy Thanksgiving all!
(image courtesy of sunvalleyrice.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment