Monday, February 20, 2012

Meat Jun


Meat Jun is apparently only available in Hawaii's Korean restaurants. It is thinly sliced beef fried with egg batter. I love eating it but never thought I would make it but a friend recently asked for the recipe so I asked my coworker (who has korean home lunches everyday made by his wife) how to make it. I tweaked the recipe a bit so here's my take:

1/8 inch thick rib eye or sirloin tip (ask the butcher to cut for you)
1-1 1/2 c shoyu
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs sesame oil
4 clove of garlic (chopped)
dash of black pepper
flour (1 cup at a time)
eggs, beaten (I buy the carton and I add more as needed)

1) Marinade beef with shoyu, sugar, sesame oil, and garlic. refrigerate overnight.
2) Dust each slice of meat with flour, place them on wax paper and let flour moisten into to meat alittle.
3) When every piece is dusted and moisten with flour, dip eah piece in beaten egg, then fry in oil on both sides until light golden brown.
4) Remove from oil, drain cooked meat with paper towel over newspaper or brown paper bag to absorb the oil. Let it stand for about 5 min before moving the pieces to avoid egg coating from separating the meat.
5) Cut and serve!



I was told that if you dip the flour and not let it sit before dipping in the egg may create egg bubble, and when it bursts, there won't be any batter on that area. So it's best to let it sit and moisten first.

There will be oil splatters so just be very careful!

I tried my very first piece of homemade meat jun, and it was super tasty! so tasty, you don't even need sauce!

Lil P said it is really good! Mr P however, said it's good...but not as good as the restaurant ones. As long as lil P thinks it's good, that is all good in my books. I have packed him a bento for lunch tomorrow! Bento includes fried rice, meat jun, a piece of brownie, and a clementine. =)



















Don't forget to like Home Kine Grindz on Facebook! Also a reminder, Pupu Day is coming up on March 1st!!

No comments:

Post a Comment