Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Singapore Noodles and Bentos

The holiday season is too hectic! I barely had time to cook or to blog! But I managed to make my own version of singapore noodles (aka curry vermicelli) yesterday. I love this dish and who knew I could do this?!

















Traditional Singapore Noodles usually contains bean sprouts, celery, green bell peppers, and shrimp which you can freely add to the noodles. I created my own version because I'm a picky eater, 1) I don't like celery, 2) I don't like bell peppers, 3) I don't like beans sprouts, and 3) I'm using what I have in the pantry.

Singapore Noodles (Mrs. P's version)

1/2 package of vermicelli, soaked in water (about 2-3 cups when wet)
1 clove of garlic, diced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 piece of chicken breast, cut in thin strips
1 carrot, julienne
1 cup of shredded cabbage
2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup of chicken stock
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
Salt and Pepper
Oil for stir fry
Drizzle of sesame oil

1) In a heated skillet, add in about 1 tbs oil and fry garlic and onions for a minute, add in chicken strips and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
2) Add in carrots, cabbage, and shiitake mushrooms and continue to stir fry.
3) Add in soaked vermicelli and chicken stock, continue to stir fry.
4) Add in curry powder, sprinkle them evenly in the skillet, add in sesame oil, continue to stir fry.
5) Add in salt and pepper to desired taste.
6) Plate and serve!
I've got sooo much pictures of bentos from this and last week but I wanted to save them until I post a new recipe. So here they are!























White tier contains duck fried rice and huli huli chicken. Yellow tier contains apple slices, soybeans, and 7 layer jello.
















Fit and Fresh cereal container has green salad on the bottom tier, top tier contains banana, apple slices, soybeans, and 7 layer jello.

















My last bento is today's lunch consist of Singapore Noodles in the yellow tier, grapes, soybeans, carrots, and kim chee on the white tier. I really LOVE this bento box!! I am posting this on today's "What's for Lunch Wednesday"

Christmas is around the corner and I noticed alot of people have been searching for homemade snacks to give as xmas gifts. One of Hawaii's favorites is Furikake Chex Mix. Apparently they're so popular that it's my #1 hit on my blog! So, if you want to make them for this holiday season, you can get the recipe here!

I might not be back before Christmas, so have a Merry Christmas and hope Santa got you what you wanted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment